- Adult & Continuing Education/Summer Programs
- Bldg Grounds & Facilities
- Business Office
- Gifted Education
- Health and Wellness
- Newtown Music Department
- Safety & Security
- School Health Services
- Special Education
- Special Education PTA
12 Berkshire Road, Sandy Hook, CT 06482
Dear Neighbors and Friends,
Updates will be coming soon! In the meantime, we appreciate and value your continuous support, whether you are a newcomer or returning participant.
Hope to see you soon,
Newtown Continuing Education
Newtown Summer School
*Adult Ed-General Information
HOW TO REGISTER
You can register by phone by calling (203) 270-6190 with a Visa, Master or Discover Card with an expiration date and 3-digit security code. You may also call with a checking account number and routing number. Please have all of your payment information and class information ready at the time of your call.
Simply complete the registration form (or a copy of one) sign it and send it with your payment to Newtown Continuing Education, 12 Berkshire Road, Sandy Hook, CT 06482.
Scan your completed registration form to our email address at email@example.com A receipt will be emailed to you once your registration has been processed.
- Payment is due at time of enrollment.
- Returned checks are subject to a $10.00 service fee.
- All cancellations, regardless of reason are assessed a $15 processing fee.
- You must cancel with at least 2 weeks’ notice to receive a refund.
All classes are offered at NHS (Newtown High School) unless otherwise noted in the course description. Room assignments will be posted and staff will be available for assistance on the first night of classes at the High School. The Teen Center is located at 53A Church Hill Road, Newtown, CT 06470.
SCHOOL CLOSING POLICY
If day time classes are cancelled because of inclement weather there will be NO evening classes. The following radio stations broadcast “no school” announcements: WLAD Danbury 800, FM WDAQ 98.3, FM WEZN 99.9 and WTNH News Channel 8.
PLEASE NOTE: All public-school buildings and grounds are non-smoking areas, per policy of the Newtown Board of Education. Newtown Continuing Education, (located in Newtown High School) 12 Berkshire Road, Sandy Hook, CT 06482
Newtown Continuing Education does not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, race, color, age, marital status, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religion, mental or physical disability or any other legally recognized protected status in any of its employment practices, school activities, or educational programs.
Adult Education & Diploma Programs
Credit Diploma Program (CDP)
General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
Adult Basic Education (ABE)
For more information or information on ESL or Citizenship Programs or registration and class dates and times, please contact:
Danbury Continuing Education, WERACE, 10 Crosby Street, Danbury, CT 06810, 203-797-4731
www.danbury.k12.ct.us, click on Schools and then Adult Education/WERACE.
Driver's Ed Courses
Getting your permit?
DMV offices conduct knowledge testing for operator licensing on an appointment basis. The written test is based on the information contained in the Connecticut DMV Driver Manual, including road signs, driving rules, and safety rules. The knowledge test consists of 25 questions and you need 20 correct answers to pass (80%). You must pass a knowledge test before you receive your learner’s permit. Connecticut requires that you pass a vision test before you get a driver’s license. After you successfully pass the CT DMV practice permit test, you will be able to schedule an appointment for the road test.
Here is the link to the Connecticut practice tests: http://dmv-permit-test.com/connecticut/practice-test-1.html
Newtown Continuing Education has partnered with The Next Street Driving School to provide driver's ed classes at Newtown High School.
Get in the Driver’s Seat, with The Next Street!
“Learning to drive should be an easy and worthwhile experience. Anyone can teach you how to drive – but no one can do it like us.” - The Next Street
Benefits of The Next Street Drivers Ed Courses :
Flexible, affordable prices to provide your child with professional instruction.
Full Driver’s Ed Course:
30 Hours of classroom and 8 hours of behind-the-wheel often qualifies you for an insurance discount!
License Testing: (additional fee)
You can take the test with The Next Street, have Next Street meet you at DMV, or for an additional fee—they take you to DMV!
Private Drivers Lessons:
Private driving lessons are 2-hour appointments, and can be purchased at the time of enrollment, or can be added to an existing account.
Students must be 16 years of age at the start of the class.
Call 860.631.4292 for more information or to register.
Looking for New Instructors
Newtown High School SAT Prep Course
The Princeton Review SAT Prep
Mondays & Wednesdays: February 11 - March 6, 2023
Mondays, Feb. 13, 27 & March 6, 2023
Wednesdays, Feb. 15, 22, March 1, 2023
Saturdays (Remote Testing) Feb. 11, 25 & March 4, 2023
- To register for the essentials course PLEASE visit www.princetonreview.com/
- The Princeton Review's Class Ref #: 500295
3 proctored practice tests
19 additional practice tests
16 single-section tests
18 hours of instruction
Review and practice books
Personalized study plan tailored to you
Student Evaluation (PDF)
Bus Trip Evaluation (PDF)
Lentz & Lentz SAT Prep
Designed to benefit students of all ability levels, this program is divided equally between English and Math and covers all facets of the SAT and PSAT. Class fea-tures: test taking techniques, practice SAT(s), advanced math and shortcut math, vocabulary development, speed-reading and online podcasts for supplemental review. The podcasts are extremely helpful to all students, especially those with cognitive and perceptual disabilities. Previous SAT and PSAT type problems are used in conjunction with our own copyrighted curriculum. Lentz & Lentz teachers have been specifically trained to teach this program and all of our instructors have a background in teaching. Lentz & Lentz also allows students the flexibility to attend live makeup classes. Positive scores on the SAT and PSAT could trans-late into thousands of dollars in scholarships and savings. Extra help at no charge, course materials and complimentary refresher sessions are included in the tuition.
For information or to register call Lentz & Lentz at:
1-845-638-2826 or visit www.LentzSATPrep.com
Or register at newtown-ce.revtrak.net
Course# F22LL1 6:30 - 9:30 PM NHS 8 Classes Price: $475
Wednesday’s, Sept 14, 21, 28, Oct 6 (Thur), 12 , 19, 26 & Nov 2, 2022
Lentz & Lentz
ONLINE COURSES - ED TO GO
If you have no time for a formal class but have an interest in learning something new or updating our current information, try an online course! Choose from a wide variety of courses under Career and Professional, Computers and Technology, Writing and Publishing and Personal Development. All of our courses include expert instructors, many of whom are nationally known authors. The courses are affordable, fun, fast, convenient and geared just for you. All courses require internet access, e-mail and an Internet Explorer browser. For a complete listing of courses and fees, please visit:www.ed2go.com/newtown. No discounts apply.
Newtown High School offers opportunities for students to take online courses from the Virtual High School.
Students can select from hundreds of offerings each semester.
VHS Mission Statement
The mission of Virtual High School is to develop and deliver standards-based, student-centered online courses to expand students' educational opportunities and 21st century skills and to offer professional development to teachers to expand the scope and depth of their instructional skills.
· VHS believes that student-centered online course can be designed and delivered to students to promote a high quality collaborative learning environment in which student exchange and interaction is a valued component of the instructional process.
· VHS believes . Online education offers any school with Internet connectivity a wealth of trained, experienced faculty members qualified in numerous disciplines to teach a wide array of courses designed to meet the needs of all students. An innovative, standards-based curriculum delivered online offers diverse, exciting learning choices for students and the opportunity and skills to participate in a national an global community.
· VHS believes that online teaching should augment, rather than replace, traditional classroom teaching. The Virtual High School's online courses are a proven, flexible solution for schools needing an expanded curriculum, teachers seeking new horizons, parents wanting more involvement with their children's education, and a society grappling with ways to offer opportunity to all its citizens.
· VHS believes that the goals of education are advanced best by putting value and service first. When schools work together in a collaborative network, such as VHS, they become part of an abundant and generous educational community that promotes the affordable sharing of professional resources.
Click here for the VHS website.
· Virtual High School online courses are considered transfer credit. Before a student can enroll in a course the student must fill out the Approval form with their Counselor and submit it to Elissa Gellis in the Continuing Ed Office.
VHS Registration Form (PDF)
Virtual High School online courses are considered transfer credit. Before a student can enroll in a course the student must fill out the Registration Form with their Counselor and submit it to Jennifer Arnold in the Newtown Continuing Education office (Room C079) in the lower C Wing at Newtown High School.
Jennifer Arnold Contact: Direct Line: (203) 270-6190.